By Ed Folsom
This introductory consultant to Walt Whitman weaves jointly the writer’s existence with an exam of his works.
· An leading edge introductory advisor to Walt Whitman.
· Weaves jointly the writer’s lifestyles with an exam of his works.
· Focuses specially on Whitman’s evolving masterpiece Leaves of Grass.
· Examines the cloth stipulations and items of Whitman’s “scripted life”, together with his unique manuscripts.
· Investigates Whitman’s “life in print” – his trust that he may possibly actually include himself in his books.
· associated with a wide digital archive of Whitman’s paintings at www.whitmanarchive.org
Read or Download Re-Scripting Walt Whitman: An Introduction to His Life and Work PDF
Best American Literature books
Ends of Assimilation examines how Chicano literature imagines the stipulations and prices of cultural swap, arguing that its thematic preoccupation with assimilation illuminates the functionality of literature. John Alba Cutler exhibits how mid-century sociologists complex a version of assimilation that missed the interlinking of race, gender, and sexuality and characterised American tradition as homogeneous, reliable, and unparalleled.
Tricky analogies among Irish and Jewish heritage, among Irish and Jewish subjectivities, happen with incredible frequency all through American literature. They bear in mind James Joyce's Leopold Bloom and episodes of Ulysses, Douglas Hyde's analogies through the Celtic Revival among studying Hebrew and studying Irish, and a myriad of claims of an strange dating among those peoples that is going past comparisons in their respective diasporic histories.
Reviews the ways that resourceful literature expresses non secular that means and considers the contribution of literary feedback to spiritual scholarship, conserving reciprocity exists among literature and faith.
Operating intentionally opposed to the grain of assumptions dominant within the modern literary academy, Boyers examines novels via Günter Grass, Gabriel Garcia Márquez, Milan Kundera and others, arguing that it is vital to talk of personality, ethics, and philosophic function if one is to appreciate those works.
Additional resources for Re-Scripting Walt Whitman: An Introduction to His Life and Work